Kachiqhata Trek to Machu Picchu 2D/1N
Our world is full of marvelous places; the path to get to the most beautiful in Latin America is through the highlands. You will embark on a memorable adventure to discover an amazing variety of landscapes and ecological areas; we will discover refreshing waterfalls and unexplored Inca remains then we will trek through open lands, amazing ramps and rock blocks left by Kachiqhata Incas Quarry.
Day 1: Cusco Ollantayatmbo Aguas Calientes
Early in the morning we pick you up from your hotel and drive through the Andes to the Sacred Valley of the Incas. On the way we can see the Urubamba range and potatoes fields that belongs to the most important town called Chinchero, continue to the route we are going reach the Sacred Valley of the Incas passing through Urubamba the most important province on the valley, them we continue to the Inca town Ollantaytambo wher we can do an optional visit before to beginning the hike on the Inca bridge over the Vilcanota river.
Starting with the hike we are going to ascent through an Inca trail passing throw terraces and tombs until to get almost the base of one of the most important mountain of the community called Apu Buena Negra which is diorite formation of these mountains, in this place we will see many stones in process of working and transport showing the technique the they employed to carve the stones to be transported later to the Ollantaytambo complex, finishing the wok there.
All the way up is following the tracks such a path used like a road where the huge stones where moved until Ollantaytambo which is going down hill until the Valley them up hill until Ollantaytambo, the stones that we will see weight more than one ton.Even from the quarry of Cachiccata we will see the most important mountain into the Urubamba range called Veronica.
We will have also a great view of the Pyramid of Pakaritampu, based on the agriculture terraces below Ollantaytambo town and fortress.We will have a box lunch and after this nice experience to explore the quarry site we will start the down hill enjoying the nice view of the Sacred Valley of the Incas looking the beauty houses of the communities around and the green fields of corn crossed and irrigated by the Sacred river of the Incas.The hikes end in Cachiccata, wich is a nice Community in the middle of many Inca remains as the quarry that the Inca used to built Ollantaytambo, the most important work and economy is the agriculture Where they produce mainly corn this means that this is farmers community.The houses of the community where built with stones in the foundations and adobes (mudbricks) not more than two floors ant torched with the straw roof.On the way back we will catch the car in the community of Cachiccata taking us to ollantayatmbo then we will drive bu train to aguas calientes to overnight .
Day 2: Machu Picchu - Cusco
To be able to enjoy the mind-blowing sunrise above the sanctuary of Machu Picchu we choose to take the earliest bus around 5:30am. Upon arrival we offer you a first class guided tour to discover more about the site and life and culture of its inhabitants. This tour will take approximately 2 hours and a half during which you will receive headphones in order to be able to hear every word of the guide’s explanation.
After the guided tour, the guide will explain you what time you should go back in order to get your train to Cusco. You will have plenty of time to visit Machu Picchu on your own after the tour. For those who are looking for the best pictures of the site we offer the possibility to climb up to Huayna Picchu. It takes approximately 2 hours to go up and down. If you would like to do this, please inform us during the booking, places are limited and tickets must be bought in advance.
When arriving by train in Cusco we will pick you up to bring you to your hotel.
* People who want to visit Huayna Picchu must let us know as soon as they can, because according to new rules, there is a limit of people (400) per day that can climb it.
- 1st Turn 07:00 am : 200 people.
- 2nd Turn 10:00 am : 200 people.
- Transport to the beginning of the trek
- Professional bilingual guide (Assistant guide for groups of over 8 people)
- Accommodation at hotel for 1 night www.plazaandina.com
- Full meals during the trek include: daily morning snack, daily tea service except last day, vegetarian or special menus are available at no extra cost
- First aid kit and emergency oxygen supply
- Machu Picchu entrance fee
- Round trip bus ticket to Machu Picchu
- Train ticket Ollantaytambo - Aguas Calientes / Aguas Calientes - Cusco (Backpacker, Vistadome or Hiram Bingham service, upon request) (*)
- Transfer from the train station to the hotel in Cusco
(*) If there are no tickets available for the direct route from Aguas Calientes to Cusco, you will be provided will a ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo (Sacred Valley) with an additional transfer to your selected hotel from Ollantaytambo.
What is not included?
- Last lunch
- Alcoholic drinks
- Extra expenses
- Travel insurance
- Sleeping bag (can be hired from us)
We recommend that you bring:
- Waterproof rain jacket or poncho
- A good sleeping bag (down bag for temperatures as low -15°C)
- Backpack for carrying items for daily use such as cameras, water bottles, etc.
- Long-sleeved shirts
- Short-sleeved t-shirts
- Comfortable pants
- Walking boots, waterproof trekking boots recommended
- Sports shoes or sandals for a higher comfort while at camp
- Warm clothing, including jacket, fleeces
- Flashlight/headlamp and batteries (batteries are consumed more quickly under colder conditions)
- Hat, cap and accessories
- Rehydration cream / after sun
- Toilet paper
- Camera, video camera, binoculars, etc.
- Insect repellent
- Sun block
- Non-disposible canteen and water for the first morning
- Optional: water-sterilizing tablets in case you pick up water from streams or rivers along the route. Otherwise, we provide filtered boiled water, which is safe to drink and has not reported health problem so far
- Original valid passport
- Original International Student Identity Card (if you have applied for a student discount)
- Walking poles (you will need rubber tips to cover the metal tips and protect the trail)
Considering an extra night in Aguas Calientes? We can change the date of your train ticket to the following day. Hotel and other costs associated with returning to Machu Picchu the following day are additional to trek costs. Please also note that your entry ticket to Machu Picchu is valid for one day only, if you wish to visit the ruins on a second consecutive day you will need to purchase another ticket.
Aguas Calientes Extra Day Upgrade Package (optional)
With hikes that trek the traditional Inca Trail, the standard package has clients returning to Cusco at the end of the trek, and they don't spend a night in Aguas Calientes. This package provides clients the opportunity to stay in Aguas Calientes for an extra night, visit Machu Picchu for a second day and then return to Cusco by the comfortable Vistadome train.
- Cost: $195 per person on twin share basis. This price doesn’t change depending on the number of people in the group.
- Second day's entry to Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu, valued at $60
- Bus up and down to ruins on extra day, valued at $17
- 1 night in a 3 star hotel, like Killa Inn Plaza Andina. These are nice hotels, well decorated, and clean.
- With limited eating choices at Machu Picchu hunger tends to send clients to Aguas Calientes; by including the buffet lunch we find that clients can visit Machu Picchu early, then go to the buffet to try lots of different Peruvian (and Western) dishes, rest and go back for a second look at Machu Picchu.
- Return in Vistadome train rather than Expedition train, which gives you the opportunity for a more varied timetable and to return in a nicer train, with big windows in the roof.
** Please contact us for a price for the same package but with 2 star accomodation and return in Expedition Train service **
Explanation of services: 2016
Joing a group sign-up and save costs
- 2 people : US$500.00 per person
- 4 people : US$450.00 per person
- 6 people : US$400.00 per person
- Under 15 years will pay as student: US$35.00
- Under 7 years Discount: US$50.00
Huaynapicchu: $75 per person
Vistadome Train (One Way): $80 per person
Vistadome Train (One Way): $80 per person
Sacred Valley Tour:
City Tour: $
Maras Moray Tour:
YOU CAN ALSO CHECK : Ollantaytambo via Kachiqhata Trek to Machu Picchu 4D/3N