VILCABAMBA TREK TO MACHU PICCHU 6D/5N
The Vilcabamba region, bastion of the Inca resistance after the Spanish invasion, shows us a varied geography with a landscape dominated by mountains covered with vegetation or snow. This region has a succession of Quechua valleys and as we are going to descend, we will find tropical valleys where the people of this region do the agricultural work. During this trek we can also appreciate the archaeological groups of Vitcus, also known as Rosaspata, Chuquipalta or Ñustahispanan.
Day 1: Cusco – Chaullay – Wankakalli
We will depart Cusco in our private bus towards Ollantaytambo, then on to Malaga mountain pass (4,200m), heading toward the valley of Huyro and Maranura. From Chaullay we will go to Wankakalli, starting our hike with a visit to the archaeological Inca complex of Rosaspata or Vitcos, where we can appreciate the Ñusta Hisp’anan stone (the White Rock). (L / D)
Day 2: Wancacalli – Raqachaca
After breakfast we have a long day ahead of us. We will walk for approx. 8 hours along an ascending path that will lead us to Qäyñu from where we will enjoy awesome views of small glacial lagoons. Along the hike, we will also have spectacular views of the snow-capped mountains and high Andean plateau in the area. We will have lunch after the pass and start descending 2 hrs to Saqsara (3700m). Then we will go up to Yanaqocha where we make camp for the night. (B / L / D)
Day 3: Raqachaca – Allpachaca
We will walk along an ascending path towards Tullutacana pass (4300m). The we continue on to the La Oqocha pass(4200m), taking a break for lunch after the ascent. Next we have a 2 hour descent to Yanaqocha and then to Saqsara where we will camp. (B / L / D)
Day 4: Allpachaca – Lucmabamba
Our trail leads us down to the eastern slope of the Andes into a sub-tropical valley, where the temperature is warmer and we will be able to admire the tropical forest full of colourful birds. After 7 hours of downhill we arrive at Yanatile village. From there we’ll go by bus to Lucmabamba and our campsite. (B / L / D)
Day 5: Lucumbamba – Llactapata – Machu Picchu
After lunch we will go up through tropical farms of coffee and cacao, and we will continue to Aobamba pass (2,800m) where we will have a stunning view of Machu Picchu and the Salkantay mountain. Then we will visit the Llactapata Inca Archeaological site. (B / L / D)
Day 6: Machu Picchu – Cusco
We take one of the early buses up to the ancient city of Machu Picchu to make the most of the tranquil morning environment. The guide will lead you on a tour of approximately 2 hours. Then we will have plenty of time to explore the mysterious site on our own, or to hike up Huayna Picchu, before returning to Aguas Calientes to catch the afternoon train back to Cusco. (B / L)
* People who want to visit Huayna Picchu must let us know as soon as they can, because according to new rules, there is a limit of people (400) per day that can climb it.
– 1st Turn 07:00 am : 200 people.
– 2nd Turn 10:00 am : 200 people.
- Private bus transportation: Cusco – Wancacalle
- Professional, English-speaking guide and camp staff
- Plentiful, nutritious meals
- Vegetarian or special diets catered to on request
- Double-occupancy tents and camping equipment (includes dining tent, kitchen tent).
- Horses (transportation of equipment and passengers belongings)
- Emergency horses
- Muleteer: in charge of managing the horses
- Train ticket Hydroelectric plant – Aguas Calientes.
- Entrance fee to Machu Picchu
- Bus to and from Machu Picchu
- Lodging in Aguas Calientes
- Train ticket back to Cusco
- Transfer train station to hotel
- Last dinner on day 5 at Indio Feliz Restaurant
- Last lunch at Santuary Lodge
What is not included?
- Extra expenses
- Sleeping bag (can be hired from us)
- Travel Insurance
We recommended that you bring:
- Original passport
- Sleeping bag
- Water bottle
- Insect repellant
- Sun block
- Basic change of clothes
- Rain coat
- First aid kit & personal medication
Considering an extra night in Aguas Calientes? We can change the date of your train ticket to the following day. Hotel and other costs associated with returning to Machu Picchu the following day are additional to trek costs. Please also note that your entry ticket to Machu Picchu is valid for one day only, if you wish to visit the ruins on a second consecutive day you will need to purchase another ticket.
Aguas Calientes Extra Day Upgrade Package (optional)
With hikes that trek the traditional Inca Trail, the standard package has clients returning to Cusco at the end of the trek, and they don’t spend a night in Aguas Calientes. This package provides clients the opportunity to stay in Aguas Calientes for an extra night, visit Machu Picchu for a second day and then return to Cusco by the comfortable Vistadome train.
- Cost: $195 per person on twin share basis. This price doesn’t change depending on the number of people in the group.
- Second day’s entry to Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu, valued at $60
- Bus up and down to ruins on extra day, valued at $17
- 1 night in a 3 star hotel, like Killa Inn Plaza Andina. These are nice hotels, well decorated, and clean.
- With limited eating choices at Machu Picchu hunger tends to send clients to Aguas Calientes; by including the buffet lunch we find that clients can visit Machu Picchu early, then go to the buffet to try lots of different Peruvian (and Western) dishes, rest and go back for a second look at Machu Picchu.
- Return in Vistadome train rather than Expedition train, which gives you the opportunity for a more varied timetable and to return in a nicer train, with big windows in the roof.
** Please contact us for a price for the same package but with 2 star accomodation and return in Expedition Train service **
Joing a group sign-up and save costs
Prices:Per Person 2021
- 2 people : US$1150.00 per person
- 4 people : US$1100.00 per person
- 6 people : US$1050.00 per person
STUDENT DISCOUNT: $35 off per personStudent Discounts apply to anyone who has a valid GREEN ISIC card at the time of the trek or is 16 years old or younger. For those using an ISIC card to receive the discount, we do need to see a copy of the card at booking. For those booking children 16 years old or younger, we need a copy of their passport at booking time. Please send all to [email protected]
- Under 15 years will pay as student: US$35.00
- Under 7 years Discount: US$50.00
ADDITIONAL ITEMS:As you see in our Additional Items under Trip Overview, there are several optional upgrades you can include in this trip. Below is a quick list of prices, but check our Overview section for more details.
Huaynapicchu: $75 per person
Vistadome Train (One Way): $80 per person
Vistadome Train (One Way): $80 per person
Sacred Valley Tour:
City Tour: $
Maras Moray Tour: